Does It Matter What I Wear to Church on Sunday?

ChurchLeaders | 3/21/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/WearSundayService.jpg

A recent story we did titled, “Korn’s Brian Welch on Why There Is No ‘Christian’ Look” sparked a fair bit of conversation among our readers about what Christians should wear in general and to Sunday morning service in particular. Reading people’s opinions got me thinking about the question I’ve posed in the title, and I’d like to offer a few thoughts on it.

What follows are common responses I’ve seen to this question and my take on them based on my understanding of scripture. I’m going to do my best to stick to this question and not get sidetracked by related issues, however important they are. So while the questions, “What should worship look like?” and “What makes clothing modest?” are important, I’m not going to address them.

People - Question - Sunday - Morning - Church

So, how do people answer the question of whether it matters what they wear to Sunday morning church?

This is trivial and not something worth discussing.

Issue - Something - God - People - Image

So no, we shouldn’t let this issue become something that divides us. But I think it’s safe to say that God cares about how the people who bear His image clothe themselves.

People should “dress up” for Sunday morning church because God is a King, and we’re entering His presence.

People - Position - Offer - Reasons - Others

This one is somewhat compelling to me. People who disagree with this position offer these reasons (among others):

God isn’t concerned with how we dress. He looks at our hearts.

Position - Services - Sunday - Wednesday - Evenings

If we’re going to be consistent with this position, we should dress up for all other services, including those on Sunday and Wednesday evenings, which tend to be more casual.

Actually, if we’re REALLY going to be consistent, we should dress up every moment because we are always in God’s presence.

Anything - New - Testament - Instruction - Clothing

If anything, New Testament instruction on clothing would seem to encourage us not to dress up when gathering in worship (1 Timothy 2).

Also, Karl Vaters...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: