The Reluctant Prophets of The Umbrella Academy

Think Christian | 3/21/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://thinkchristian-webassets.imgix.net/articleImages/2019/umbrella-academy-craft.jpg?crop=focalpoint&fit=crop&fp-x=0.5&fp-y=0.5&h=500&ixlib=php-1.1.0&q=80&w=800&s=abc55ca6c46fe2033dafd245979590e7

The Bible provides its share of heroes imbued with what could be called “powers.” And like the UA, these biblical heroes are similarly susceptible to human insecurities. While God chooses a number of prophets to deliver his message and facilitate his work on Earth, not all are immediately thrilled with their assignment.

Like the UA, the prophet Jeremiah is chosen from the beginning “to uproot and tear down, destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.” Jeremiah demurs, insisting that he’s only a boy who doesn’t know how to speak. But God assures him that he will put divine words in his mouth.

Moses - Divine - Orders - Israel - Slavery

Moses, upon hearing his divine orders to deliver Israel out of slavery, also offers excuses. “Who am I?” he asks. “What if they do not believe me?” And again: “I am slow of speech and tongue.” This call to do God’s work not only overwhelms Moses, but disrupts his plan for a peaceful, domestic life. Here again, God won’t take “no” for an answer. Instead, he endows our hero with the power to summon and manipulate nature in order to rescue his people.

We often forget that Jonah, too, was a prophet. In fact the reason he ends up in the belly of that giant fish is because he’s been ghosting God’s call to prophecy. When told by God to go to Nineveh and call out its people on their “wickedness,” Jonah just leaves. He gives God the “New phone, who dis?” treatment, hops a ship, and heads in another direction. It is during this escape attempt that Jonah is cast into the sea, like Pinocchio, and left to rethink his prior objections. He eventually accepts the call, a decision which ends up saving the people of Nineveh.

Jonah - UA - Klaus

Like Jonah, the UA’s Klaus Hargreeves...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Think Christian
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.