Dutch tram shooting suspect to be charged with 'terrorist' murders

Mail Online | 3/21/2019 | Julian Robinson for MailOnline
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/21/11/11226228-0-image-a-26_1553167401605.jpg

A man suspected of carrying out a tram shooting that left three people dead and seven injured in Holland is to face terror charges, Dutch prosecutors say.

Gokmen Tanis will be charged with offences including multiple murder or manslaughter with a terrorist intent following the shooting in Utrecht.

Prosecutor - Office - City - Tanis - Charges

The public prosecutor's office in the central city said Tanis also faces charges of attempted murder or manslaughter and making threats with a terrorist intent.

Prosecutors said that investigations so far into Monday's shooting indicate that the shooter acted alone.

Investigations - Suspect - Actions - Problems - Ideology

But investigations continue into whether the suspect's actions 'flowed from personal problems combined with a radicalised ideology', the statement added.

Tanis, 37, is to appear before an investigating judge on Friday. Such hearings are held behind closed doors.

Police - Motive - Attack - Suspect - Shooting

It comes after police revealed they were investigating a terrorist motive for the tram attack, as they arrested a new suspect over the deadly shooting.

Authorities said they had found a suspicious letter in a getaway car used by Turkish-born main suspect Tanis, which made them 'seriously' consider terrorism might have been involved in Monday's rampage.

Counter-terrorism - Officers - Suspect - Utrecht - Incident

Armed counter-terrorism officers meanwhile arrested one new suspect, aged 40, in Utrecht who was 'suspected of being involved in the shooting incident', prosecutors said, adding that his 'role was being further investigated.'

Two other men who were arrested Monday in connection with the shooting had been released, prosecutors added.

Dutch - Prime - Minister - Mark - Rutte

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte earlier in the day laid flowers for the victims at the scene of the attack and said he was 'still filled with horror' by the bloodshed.

'So far, a terrorist motive is seriously being taken into account. This is based on a letter found in the getaway car among other things and the nature of the facts,' Dutch police and prosecutors said in a joint statement yesterday.

Reports - Shooting

Apparently ruling out reports that the shooting...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!