‘Jane The Virgin’ Team Talks Importance of Representation, Taking Final Season Back to Series Roots

Variety | 3/21/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/rexfeatures_10161687z.jpg?crop=0px,94px,2912px,1641px&resize=700,393

After five years, multiple time jumps and a number of timely storylines, in addition to takes on telenovela tropes, “Jane The Virgin” is coming to an end on the CW. While there may be some pressure to end the show on a positive and powerful note, it’s not a pressure that is completely foreign to series creator and showrunner Jennie Synder Urman.

When she was first developing the show, Urman shared at the show’s final farewell Paleyfest panel in Hollywood, Calif. Wednesday, she felt “pressure to make sure the representation felt good to the actors and the writing team.”

Characters - Lot - Stories - Women - Ways

“I just wanted to authentically represent these characters and tell a lot of stories [that] women can be different in so many ways. There’s no right or wrong,” Urman continued. “It’s all been so much more than I could have expected.”

For series stars Gina Rodriguez and Andrea Navedo, the positive representation of Latina women was crucial in wanting to be a part of the series from the start.

Latina - Women - Household - Model - Media

“I saw Latina women hold the household together. That was the model I grew up with, but I didn’t see it reflected in media,” Navedo said. “I knew I had the odds stacked against me; I knew I wasn’t the popular type.” Navedo shared she almost quit acting because of how hard it was to find roles, but “Jane The Virgin” has given the women in her family a chance to be “seen.”

'Riverdale's' Hayley Law Dedicates Series to Luke Perry: 'The Whole Show Is for Him'

Watch - Gina - Rodriguez - Break - Up

Watch Gina Rodriguez Break Up (and Break Through) in First Trailer for Netflix's 'Someone Great'

And Rodriguez added, “I have been raised by such strong women, so it’s lovely to continue to be around them … advised by them, protected and loved by them.”

Reasons - Urman - Character

One of the reasons Urman made the character of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!