FOLLOW SUNDAYU

SundayU Magazine | 3/19/2019 | Carl Barnhill
Click For Photo: https://www.sundaymag.tv/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/alex-kotliarskyi-361099-unsplash.jpg

I believe too many times in church media world, those who serve in production (whether audio, video, lighting, or stage design) have a stigma of being ‘behind the scenes introverted nerds’. And sometimes, I think we, as creatives, fuel that. Yes, it’s great to have people on our teams that are knowledgable about the technical aspects of executing a Sunday service. However, as leaders, we need to create opportunities for anyone to join our teams.

Let me give you three filters to think through when creating opportunities for people to serve.

Stereotype - Production - People - Staff - Member

There is a stereotype of those who serve in production. People that are introverted, quiet, smart, engineer-type. Let me challenge you – if you are a staff member at a church, you as the leader of your team can change that culture and that stereotype. Change the way you address potential volunteers. Do you quickly look around to see if someone has experience in media world? Or do you cast vision and create opportunities for anyone to join your team? It’s only a stereotype if you let be one. Change the culture in your church. Cast vision where anyone would not be scared or intimidated to join your team.

At a church I served on staff at, we had ‘Opportunities Tours’ nearly every Sunday. Out of our Church Membership or “Ownership” Class, as we called it, we encouraged everyone at that class to attend an Opportunities Tour. This tour was scheduled for Sunday mornings and would tour nearly every ministry to see which area a volunteer would like to serve.

Tour - Control - Room - Group - Minutes

When the tour would come by our control room, I would talk to the group for about 2 minutes and cast vision as to the opportunities we provided on our Media Production Team. I would ask them, “raise your hand if you have...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SundayU Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: