Facebook says the original New Zealand shooter video was viewed about 4,000 times before removal

TechCrunch | 3/19/2019 | Staff
reantes (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/gettyimages-630348652.jpg?w=600

Facebook released new figures about its attempts to stop the spread of videos after a shooter livestreamed his attacks on two Christchurch, New Zealand mosques last Friday, killing 50 people.

In a blog post, Facebook vice president and deputy general counsel Chris Sonderby said that the video was viewed less than 200 times during the live broadcast, during which no users reported the video. Including views during the live broadcast, the video was viewed about 4,000 times before it was removed from Facebook. It was first reported 29 minutes after it started streaming, or 12 minutes after it had ended. Sonderby said a link to a copy was posted onto 8chan, the message board that played a major role in the the video’s propogation online, before Facebook was alerted to it.

Shootings - Suspect - Man - Pro-facism - Manifesto

Before the shootings the suspect, a 28-year-old white man, posted an anti-Muslim and pro-facism manifesto. Sonderby said the shooter’s personal accounts had been removed from Facebook and Instagram, and that it is “actively identifying and removing” imposter accounts.

Facebook’s new numbers come one day after the company said it had removed about 1.5 million videos of the shooting in the first 24 hours after the attack, including 1.2 million that were blocked at upload, and therefore not available for viewing. But that means it failed to block 20 percent of those videos, or 300,000, which were...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!