Using a Raspberry Pi as a Desktop PC: 7 Things I Learned After a Week

MakeUseOf | 3/15/2019 | Christian Cawley
Click For Photo: https://static.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/raspberry-pi-desktop-994x400.jpg

The Raspberry Pi is a great little computer, but can it substitute a standard office or school desktop? A recent Twitter exchange (in which I extolled the values of the Pi’s power) got me thinking, so I’ve decided to put my theory to the test.

For the next seven days, I’m using only a Raspberry Pi. Every piece of work I write and edit for an entire week will be done on a credit card-sized computer posing as an office PC.

Raspberry - Pi - Work - Desktop - PC

Can the Raspberry Pi Work as a Desktop PC?

I spotted a conversation on Twitter recently about the lack of modern computer equipment in school.

People - Twitter

Now, you might be thinking I’m totally wrong. Certainly, the people I engaged with on Twitter did:

It’s a fair argument. The only way to find out if the Pi can replace a PC for office tasks is to try it. What general tasks might you expect from a standard desktop?

Features - Raspberry - Pi - Default - Operating

All these features are available via the Raspberry Pi’s default operating system, Raspbian Stretch. With the right set up and a focus on productivity, using the little computer for day-to-day work should be achievable.

Admittedly this won’t be perfect for everyone. My daily workload looks something like:

Music - Playing - Task - Amazon - Dot

There might be some music playing, although I often farm that task out to the Amazon Dot. Based on this, I reckon it’s possible to use a Raspberry Pi as a desktop PC and stay productive.

Getting started meant hooking up a keyboard and mouse, finding a display I could use for a few days, and connecting the Raspberry Pi to the network.

Device - Raspberry - Pi - Devices - Advantage

First, however, I would need to choose a device. With 12 Raspberry Pi devices to choose from, I opted for the best advantage with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+.

This computer has a 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU, 1GB of RAM, built in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: MakeUseOf
Wake Up To Breaking News!
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care