Why We Still Pray, Even After New Zealand Attack

The Daily Signal | 3/15/2019 | Staff
eymira (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/190315_aoc.jpg

Katrina Trinko is managing editor of The Daily Signal and co-host of The Daily Signal podcast. She is also a member of USA Today's Board of Contributors. Send an email to Katrina.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., tweeted after the horrific attacks on two New Zealand mosques that led to at least 49 dead:

Course - Ocasio-Cortez - Desire - Kind - Tragedies

Of course, Ocasio-Cortez’s desire to end these kind of tragedies is understandable and laudable–although she and I would probably differ on the right ways to address this.

But, regardless of tragedies, prayer matters.

Ocasio-Cortez - Comment - Understanding - Prayer - Results

Ocasio-Cortez’s comment shows an understanding of prayer that sees it as about results achieved.

But prayer isn’t about results–it’s about a relationship with God. After all, in Christianity, one of the largest religious traditions, we believe that the Son of God died on a cross–hardly an escape from suffering.

End - Day - Prayers - Horror - Attacks

At the end of the day, I believe our prayers are good, areworth doing–even as we are speechless and silent in horror after attacks like the one in New Zealand.

So I’m reprinting here an essay I wrote in 2017 for The Daily Signal about the Sutherland shooting:

Parents - Siblings - Family - Prayer - Degrees

When I was growing up, my parents almost daily rounded up my four siblings and I for family prayer, the seven of us—albeit with differing degrees of attention—reciting out loud the Catholic prayers of the rosary, while meditating on different events in Jesus Christ’s life.

At the end of the rosary, after my dad had rattled off the oh, roughly 785 intentions he wanted the Lord to take some action on, it was the kids’ turn to announce to God what we’d like to see happen.

One - Brothers - Intention - Time - Toddler

And so when one of my brothers was 2, he began to pray for a specific intention. At the time, he was a toddler who lost his mind and shrieked “Bu! Bu! BU!” (the “s” seemed to be beyond his ability...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A slice out of infinity
Tagged: