Mitt Romney Bucks Trump on National Emergency: ‘Not a Vote Against Border Security’

Breitbart | 3/15/2019 | Staff
morica (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/03/GettyImages-1058488768.jpg

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) announced Thursday he will join other Republican senators opposing President Donald Trump’s national emergency declaration, contending that the vote does not amount to a vote “against border security.”

Romney released a statement revealing he will vote for a resolution that would nullify Trump’s national emergency declaration and make it harder to secure the southern border. The Senate will vote on the resolution on Thursday, which President Trump has said he will veto. The House passed the bill in February.

Vote - Constitution - Balance - Powers - Core

“This is a vote for the Constitution and for the balance of powers that is at its core,” Romney said. “For the Executive Branch to override a law passed by Congress would make it the ultimate power rather than a balancing power.”

Romney continued:

Vote - Security - Fact - Barrier - Crisis

This is not a vote against border security. In fact, I agree that a physical barrier is urgently needed to help ease the humanitarian crisis at the southern border, and the administration already has $4.5 billion avaialbel existing authrotiy to fund a barrier–even without an emergency declaration.

I am seriously concerned that overreach by the Executive Branch is an invitation to further expansion and future presidents. We experience a similar erosion of congressional authority with President Obama’s unilateral immigration orders– which I strenusouly opposed. In the case before us now, where Congress has enacted specific policy, to conset toan emergency declaration would be both inconsistent with my beliefs and contrary to my oath to defend the Constitution.

Romney

Romney has...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!