RAF fliers nicknamed 'Doorknob' and 'Bamber' take Tornado for its last ever flight

Mail Online | 3/15/2019 | Tim Stickings For Mailonline
boti (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/14/18/10997358-0-image-a-21_1552589924157.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/03/14/2977592882469188519/1024x576_MP4_2977592882469188519.mp4

The RAF Tornado has completed its final flight after nearly 40 years in service.

The single supersonic jet flew over a disbandment ceremony for its last two squadrons at RAF Marham in Norfolk today.

Pilot - Navigator - 'Doorknob - 'Bamber - Plane

A pilot and navigator nicknamed 'Doorknob' and 'Bamber' steered the plane for its final flypast as members of the two squadrons watched it roar overhead.

First entering service in 1980, the jets have been used in operations across the world, most recently bombarding ISIS with air-to-ground missiles pushing the terrorist group back through Syria and Iraq.

Squadron - Leader - Ian - 'Doorknob - Dornan

Squadron leader Ian 'Doorknob' Dornan, the pilot for the Tornado's final flight, described it as an 'absolute honour and a privilege'.

'It's really when I think about all the aircrew that have gone before me and all the engineers that have made it possible to put the jet in the air,' he said.

'It - Friends - Mission

'It's sometimes sad as well as I've a few friends who didn't make it back, but very humbling and very honoured to fly the last mission.'

Squadron leader Stephen 'Bamber' Beardmore, who was in the back seat as navigator, said: 'It's been a long career for me flying Tornado and it's kind of like a pair of old slippers.

'I think I just got used to it and it's been very fulfilling.

'It's a sad day to move on but I think it's time to move on.

'The - Aircraft - End - Service - Life

'The aircraft has now come to the end of its service life and there are newer things to do and newer capabilities to service with newer aircraft.'

First entering service in 1979, the supersonic jets have been used in operations across the world, most recently bombarding ISIS with air-to-ground missiles pushing the terrorist group back through Syria and Iraq.

Capabilities - Tornados - RAF - Typhoon - Jets

The capabilities of the Tornados are now being delivered by RAF Typhoon jets.

Under 'Project Centurion', worth £425million...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!