French Cardinal convicted of covering up child sex abuse will meet Pope Francis to resign

Mail Online | 3/14/2019 | Afp
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/14/14/10985124-0-image-a-32_1552574555563.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/03/07/6288570773855909090/1024x576_MP4_6288570773855909090.mp4

A French Cardinal who was handed a suspended jail sentence for covering up child sex abuse by a priest under his responsibility has been called to meet Pope Francis.

Philippe Barbarin, the most senior French cleric caught up in the global paedophilia scandal that has rocked the Catholic Church, had said after his conviction last week that he would travel to Rome to tender his resignation to the pope.

Pope - Vatican - Monday - Officials - Lyon

He will meet the Pope at the Vatican on Monday, officials in his Lyon diocese said.

Barbarin was found guilty of failing to report allegations of abuse in the 1980s and early 1990s by Reverand Bernard Preynat, who is due to go on trial later this year.

Aides - Trial - Lyon - Time - Catholic

He and five former aides went on trial in Lyon at a time when the Catholic Church has been hit by abuse scandals in countries as far afield as Australia, Chile and the United States.

The outcome of the trial, which began in January, had been long awaited in France.

Barbarin - Future - Pope - 'I - Facts

Earlier, Barbarin, who was once tipped as a future Pope, had said: 'I cannot see what I am guilty of. I never tried to hide, let alone cover up these horrible facts.'

The case broke three years ago and lawyers for nine adult plaintiffs - former boy scouts allegedly abused by priest Preynat - took legal action.

Abuse - Acts - Prosecutors - Charges - Statute

Since the abuse relates to acts committed before 1991, prosecutors had declined to press charges because of the statute of limitations.

The trial went ahead only because the plaintiffs bypassed the prosecutor's office and insisted, as they...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!