Variety’s 10 Latinxs to Watch Brunch Celebrates Diversity in the Community

Variety | 3/11/2019 | Malina Saval
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/10-latinxs-to-watch-brunch.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Saturday afternoon brought rising Latinx filmmakers and actors together at Variety’s 10 Latinxs to Watch brunch held in partnership with the 36th annual Miami Film Festival.

The festive celebration, which took place at the JW Marquis Marriott’s Boulud Sud restaurant, featured a panel discussion moderated by Variety’s Malina Saval with the following five select individuals from the 10 Latinxs to Watch list: writer-director Jayro Bustamante (“Tremors”); horror filmmaker Gigi Saul Guerrero (“Into the Dark”); filmmaker Lila Aviles (“The Chambermaid”); actor Daniel Zovatto (“Lady Bird,” “Penny Dreadful”); and actor Marcel Ruiz (“One Day at a Time”).

Festival - Director - Jaie - Laplante - Hand

Festival director Jaie Laplante was also on hand to present the talent with their awards.

“We’re all different colors and sizes. We’re all Latino,” said Zovatto, who, while Costa Rican, was told by many in the biz when he first started out that he wasn’t “Latino enough.”

Culture - Community - People - States - People

“It’s a big culture, it’s a big community of people,” he continued. “And I feel like in the States people had an idea and misconception of what that was. And I think slowly, because of us and everybody else that came before us — Diego Luna and Gael Garcia [Bernal] — they’re really opening so many doors for us. It was crazy at first. I was like, ‘What do you mean I’m not Latino? I’m f—ing 100% Latino, man!’ And I would start speaking in Spanish and I have my cellular (phone)...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Hell sometimes looks an awful lot like an office cubicle.