Meghan Markle's International Women's Day Speech Will Make You Sit Up a Little Straighter

POPSUGAR Celebrity | 3/8/2019 | Britt Stephens
Click For Photo: https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/lgDZOlU8awc05nGH9KX902Wg3bY/fit-in/1200x630/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-:fill-!white!-/2019/03/08/846/n/1922398/757dd4b15c82c024b7d521.08855529_.jpg

View this post on Instagram

“If things are wrong and there is a lack of justice, and there is an inequality, then someone needs to say something.” — The Duchess of Sussex has become Vice-President of The @Queens_Commonwealth_Trust, of which Her Majesty The Queen is Patron, and The Duke of Sussex is President. In her new role, The Duchess will highlight the Trust's partnerships with young people across the Commonwealth, and in particular its work supporting women and girls. In celebration of International Women’s Day, Her Royal Highness joined a special panel discussion of female thought-leaders and activists convened by The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, to discuss a range of issues affecting women today. #InternationalWomensDay #IWD2019 #QCT #QCTxIWD

A post shared by Kensington Palace (@kensingtonroyal) on

Meghan Markle was front and center for a panel discussion about women's issues at King's College in London on Friday, which also marked International Women's Day. The Duchess of Sussex joined fellow high-profile activists Annie Lennox, Adwoa Aboah, Julia Gillard, Chrisann Jarrett, and Angeline Murimirwa at the event, which was assembled by The Queen's Commonwealth Trust (of which Meghan was recently named vice president). During the chat, Meghan opened up about her history of altruism and philanthropy, retelling the story of how she influenced Proctor & Gamble to change their sexist advertising campaign as an 11-year-old.

"Truth be told, at 11 I don't think I even knew what sexism meant," Meghan told the crowd. "I just knew that something struck me internally that was telling me it was wrong." She went on to explain how the triumphant moment has impacted her adult life. "It really set up the trajectory for me to say, if there was a wrong, if there is a lack of justice, and there is an inequality, then someone needs to say something. And why not me?"

Billions - Dollars - Table - Girls - Education

"Billions of dollars on the table are lost by girls being pulled out of education."

Meghan also explained how traveling the world with charitable organizations further opened up her eyes to the injustices and discrimination against women and girls globally. "Once I became old enough to travel, specifically to developing countries and see what was happening abroad, I think for me what really resonated was the lack of education for girls, and how that has a ripple effect on so many things," she said, citing the specific ways...
(Excerpt) Read more at: POPSUGAR Celebrity
Wake Up To Breaking News!