UDI Takes French Animation Legend Jean-François Laguionie’s ‘Slocum’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Variety | 3/7/2019 | Emilio Mayorga
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/i39_v1.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

BORDEAUX, France — Frédéric Corvez’ Urban Distribution International (UDI) has taken international rights to French animation legend Jean-François Laguionie’s “Slocum” a feature project in development presented at last year’s Cartoon Movie.

The sales deal was closed at this year’s Cartoon Movie, Europe’s premier co-production and sales forum for animated features, which is also taking place in Bordeaux.

Animation - Pioneer - France - Laguionie - Features

An animation pioneer in France, Laguionie’s recent features take in 2016’s “Louise by the Shore,” a Grand Prize winner at the Ottawa Festival, and the Cesar-nominated “The Painting” (2011).

Produced by Jean-Pierre Lemouland’s JPL Films, which also backed “Louise by the Shore,” the film is penned by Laguionie. and Anik Leray, his regular co-writer since 2004’s “Black Mor’s Island.”

Mix - Louise - Shore - Water-color - Palette

Returning to the 2D and 3D mix of “Louise on the Shore,” and using an exquisite soft-toned water-color palette which endows the film with a retro air of nostalgia – at least from what was seen in excerpts at Cartoon Movie – “Slocum” recounts a man’s memories of growing up beside the Marne and his rapt excitement at his stepfather’s building a boat in the back garden, as his imagination is inflamed by reading the diary of Joshua Slocum, the first man to circumnavigate the world alone, from 1895 to 1898.

“I can tell you about my father’s voyage on his boat....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!