‘The Bachelor’ Contestant on Revealing Sexual Assault: ‘I Thought It Was Going to Be ****’

Variety | 3/4/2019 | Jordan Moreau
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/151560_7358.jpg?crop=0px,76px,3000px,1691px&resize=700,393

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not yet watched “The Bachelor: Women Tell All” that aired Tuesday, Mar. 5.

After sharing that she had been sexually assaulted in college, “The Bachelor” contestant Caelynn Miller-Keyes says she suffered from anxiety up until the episode aired and didn’t expect so much support from fans.

Twitter - People - PTSD - College - Miller-Keyes

“I was like, ‘People are going to rip me apart on Twitter.’ I thought it was going to be ****, people wouldn’t believe me, and I’d have to relive that same PTSD I had in college of not being believed,” Miller-Keyes told Variety at the taping of “The Bachelor: The Women Tell All” reunion in Los Angeles, Calif.

Instead, she says the reaction was the opposite. “People are becoming more understanding and compassionate toward survivors,” she said.

Story - Bachelor - Colton - Underwood - Date

Miller-Keyes shared her story with titular Bachelor Colton Underwood during a one-on-one date in Singapore during Week 4. The Miss North Carolina titleholder previously spoke about her sexual assault at the 2018 Miss America competition, where she went on to place as the first runner-up. In this season of “The Bachelor,” she was eliminated after the hometown visits during Week 8, coming in fourth place on the dating show.

“It was one of those conversations and moments that was bigger than the show itself,” Underwood told Variety. “She’s extremely brave and an incredible person and for her to have the safety in our relationship to be able to be open and discuss that, was very powerful.”

Years - Spinoff - Show - Bachelor - Paradise

Nearly two years after the spinoff show “Bachelor in Paradise” halted production after sexual misconduct allegations on set, the flagship series was able to give a platform for Miller-Keyes’ story during the #MeToo era. It was the first time a contestant on any “Bachelor” show shared a story of previous sexual abuse on-screen.

“We just wanted to care for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!