BREAKING: Pope Francis Opens Vatican Archives on Pius XII, Declaring ‘The Church is Not Afraid of History’

The Deacon's Bench | 3/4/2019 | Staff
ashb0101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/03/453px-Pio_XII_Pacelli.jpg

From remarks by Pope Francis this morning to “superiors, collaborators, and employees” of the Vatican Secret Archive, commemorating the 80th anniversary of the election of Pius XII:

By wish of Pope Benedict XVI, you Superiors and Officials of the Vatican Secret Archive, as well as of the Historical Archives of the Holy See and of the Vatican City State, since 2006 you have been working on a common project of inventorying and preparation of substantial documentation produced during the pontificate of Pius XII, part of which was already made consultable by my venerable Predecessors San Paolo VI and San Giovanni Paolo II.

Thank - Archivists - Patient - Work - Twelve

I therefore thank you, and through you also the other Vatican archivists, for the patient and scrupulous work you have done over the past twelve years, and which you are still partly carrying out, to complete the aforementioned preparation.

Yours is a work that takes place in silence and away from the clamor, cultivates the memory, and in a sense it seems to me that it can be compared to the cultivation of a majestic tree, whose branches are stretched towards the sky, but whose roots are solidly anchored in the earth. If we compare this tree to the Church, we see that it is reaching out towards Heaven, where is our homeland and our last horizon; but the roots sink into the soil of the same Incarnation of the Word, in history, over time. You, archivists, with your patient toil work on these roots and help to keep them alive, so that even...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!