Rep. Ilhan Omar in Twitter Spat With Senior Jewish Democrat Over ‘Dual Loyalty’ Insinuation

CNS News | 3/3/2019 | Staff
j.moomin (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/omar-laughsg.jpg

(CNSNews.com) – In yet another spat over Muslim lawmakers and anti-Semitism, Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) wrangled on Twitter at the weekend with a senior Democratic colleague over remarks insinuating that pro-Israel lawmakers, especially Jewish ones, have dual loyalties to Israel and the United States.

After House Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Rep. Nita Lowey (D-N.Y.) – who is both Jewish and strongly pro-Israel – said she was “saddened” by Omar’s latest controversial remarks and urged her to retract them, Omar slapped her down: “Our democracy is built on debate, Congresswoman!”

Lowey - Congress - Decades - Member - House

Lowey, 81, has been in Congress for three decades and is the 14th member of the House by seniority; Omar, 37, has been in Congress for two months.

The latest incident began when a video clip emerged of Omar, speaking at a “progressive issues” town hall in Washington on Wednesday, saying that the reason she and fellow Muslim freshman Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) were accused of anti-Semitism every time they speak about Israel is because they are Muslims.

Rashida - Muslim - Lot - Colleagues - Lot

“What I’m fearful of is that, because Rashida and I are Muslim, that a lot of our Jewish colleagues, a lot of our constituents, a lot of our allies, go to thinking that everything we say about Israel to be anti-Semitic because we are Muslim.”

Omar, who was flanked by Tlaib as she spoke, said the accusation of anti-Semitism was “designed to end the debate” about “what is happening with Palestine.”

Applause - Influence - Country - People - Allegiance

Then she added as the enthusiastic applause abated, “I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is okay for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country."

Why was it okay, she asked, for her to talk about the influence of lobbies like the NRA or fossil fuel industries or Big Pharma, “and not talk about a powerful lobbying group that is influencing...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!