Agatha Christie: Is she on your woman author’s list? If not why not? Or “I love Agatha Christie.”

Eidos | 3/3/2019 | Staff
applecup (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/03/F5625EC6-F406-4803-A1E7-9391DA0965E6.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/03/F5625EC6-F406-4803-A1E7-9391DA0965E6-768x404.jpeg

When you are given women writers, excellent writers, you are not generally given the best selling writer who is a woman, because Agatha Christie, mayhaps the best selling author of all time, somehow (usually) does not count as a woman.

She is too happy or too readable or too Tory.

Agatha - Christie - Sort - Author - Grandmother

Agatha Christie was the sort of author my grandmother, my wife, and my daughters read. She was also the sort of author my grandfather, my dad, and my sons read. One daughter insisted to me she was great.

That made me pause.

Laugh - Mystery - Author - Agatha - Christie

We had a laugh when another mystery author was proclaimed as the new Agatha Christie and not just the new Christie but a writer so good that soon Christie would be the new . . . And I cannot quite remember how to spell her name.

The time is long past when people who love to read should admit: she is a great writer. She endures: nobody makes the era between World War I and World War II more comprehensible than Agatha Christie, even if she does not say what we wish she would say about it.

Books - Books - Anybody - Bible - Shakepseare

She was better at selling books, the books she wanted to write, than anybody not in the Bible and named Shakepseare, but we happy to use the “he” as the default third person pronoun. This is not acceptable to many. How could she write this about herself:

We never know the whole man, though sometimes, in quick flashes, we know the true man. I think, myself, that one’s memories represent those moments which, insignificant as they may seem, nevertheless represent the inner self and oneself as most really oneself.

Ze

How dare she be so jolly without even a ze?

She remained an Anglican, did not take communion because she suffered a divorce, but presented a worldview overwhelmingly Christian. Agatha Christie...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!