Steven Spielberg facing backlash for urging the Academy to BAN Netflix from the awards

Mail Online | 3/3/2019 | Lauren Fruen For Dailymail.com
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/03/00/10505336-0-image-a-13_1551574312153.jpg

Oscar winner Steven Spielberg is facing backlash after urging the Academy to ban Netflix from being considered for the awards show.

The legendary director, 72, is said to be going the Academy's board of directors to voice his concerns.

Spokesman - Spielberg - Indiewire - Feels - Difference

A spokesman for Spielberg told Indiewire: 'Steven feels strongly about the difference between the streaming and theatrical situation. He’ll be happy if the others will join [his campaign] when that comes up [at the Academy Board of Governors meeting]. He will see what happens.'

Netflix had big wins at the awards last Sunday after picking up 15 nominations with Alfonso Cuarón’s Roma picking up three gongs.

Spielberg - Views - Viewers - Filmmakers

And Spielberg's views have not gone down well online with both viewers and filmmakers.

Ava DuVernay earned her first Oscar nomination in 2017 for her Netflix documentary 13th. She wrote: 'This is a Board of Governors meeting. And regular branch members can’t be there. But I hope if this is true, that you’ll have filmmakers in the room or read statements from directors like me who feel differently.'

Twitter - Jamil - Smith - Spielberg - Start

On Twitter Jamil Smith wrote: 'Steven Spielberg got his start directing television. It is remarkably obtuse of him to compare...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.