Watch Regina King Get Overwhelmed as She Sees Her Name Being Put on Her Academy Award: ‘Wow’

PEOPLE.com | 2/25/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/best-moments-1.jpg?crop=0px,0px,1800px,945px&resize=1200,630

Regina King was overjoyed as she watched her name get put on her Academy Award following her big win on Sunday.

The 48-year-old actress, who picked up the award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in If Beale Street Could Talk, seemed happy as could be as she watched her own personalized plaque get attached to her statuette.

Tequila - Wow - Video - Variety - Process

“I’m gonna have a tequila in there. Yeah, I’m going with what does me well. Wow,” she remarked in a video shared by Variety, as she watched the process unfold.

Asked whether she knew her performance would earn her such acclaim while still on set, the actress replied that at the time she had no idea.

Something

“Not at all,” she shared, before adding that she was aware “that we were doing something really special.”

King picked up her first-ever Oscar win — and nomination — for her moving role in If Beale Street Could Talk as a mother helping her pregnant young daughter fight the justice system and get her innocent boyfriend out of prison.

Acceptance - Speech - King - Director - Barry

During her acceptance speech, King thanked her director, Barry Jenkins, as well as late author James Baldwin, who wrote the book If Beale Street Could Talk in the 1960s.

“To be standing here, representing one of the greatest artists of our time, James Baldwin, it’s a little surreal,” she said. “James Baldwin birthed this baby, Barry you nurtured her, you surrounded her with so much love...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!