BRUCE MAXWELL JUST WANTS A FRESH START

Bleacher Report | 2/25/2019 | Staff
chicana948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/793/093/aa6a0ad5e26f45a03e9c2ace717d824e_crop_exact.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&q=75

On a cloudy Sunday afternoon in early February while pitchers and catchers throughout the land report to big league camps, Bruce Maxwell is on a high school baseball field in the spring chill, being shadowed by a spirited schoolboy named James. The afternoon is full of smiles, and it is difficult to tell which of them is helping the other more. Probably, it's about equal.

James is there with the high school's Best Buddies program, an international organization founded in 1989 for the purpose of helping those with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

Maxwell - Lot - Energy - Stuff

"He's amazing," Maxwell says. "He's got a lot of energy. I love doing stuff like this. It's good for them, and it's good for us."

Maxwell and a handful of minor leaguers who are represented by Sports Management Partners—owned by former pitcher and executive Dave Stewart and his wife, Lonnie Murray—are part of the group that's conducting this baseball clinic for the Best Buddies kids. Slowly, over the next several days, Maxwell will lose his minor league mates as they drift away to spring training.

Left - Job - Years - Professional - Man

Left alone and still scrounging for a job after six years as a professional is the only man ever to kneel in protest during a national anthem in an MLB uniform.

Colin Kaepernick phoned him shortly after he made his stand, and Kaepernick still checks in with Maxwell regularly to make sure he's OK. Maxwell knows there is the possibility he's being blackballed, but he also knows his circumstances are different than those of Kaepernick.

Everything - Part - People - People - Career

"I feel that, with everything that comes along with me, it plays a small part in how people view me, or how people might view my career," Maxwell, 28, says in his first extended public comments on what happened in his life since he kneeled. "At the same time, all I can focus on...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Bleacher Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: