ALEXANDRA SHULMAN'S NOTEBOOK: My spat with the fashion god Karl Lagerfeld - all written in longhand 

Mail Online | 2/24/2019 | Alexandra Shulman for the Daily Mail
SweetStuff33 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/24/01/10196058-0-image-a-14_1550973082020.jpg

Karl Lagerfeld’s death has generated floods of anecdotes from anyone who ever came anywhere near him.

But then there is nothing like death to bring out claims of close encounters with a famous person.

Relationship - Director - Fendi - Chanel

My own relationship with the long-time creative director of Fendi and Chanel was entirely professional.

He had many friends and colleagues who were with him for decades, amounting to family.

Paris - Fashion - Week - Vogue - Editor

That didn’t include myself but, even so, at each Paris fashion week I attended as Vogue editor I would be greeted by a satellite dish-sized basket of ravishing flowers when I entered my hotel room.

There was always a handwritten note on personalised notepaper which normally, but not always, mentioned something appreciative about the magazine, showing that he had taken the time to look at it properly, and not just to see how much of his own work appeared.

Occasions - Horns - Something - Fury - Nobody

On a few occasions we locked horns over something I had published that he didn’t like, and once he fell into a fury and wrote that nobody would ever buy my magazine again.

I remember being urged, by a desperate aide, to write to apologise – ‘but handwriting only, Alex. Don’t type it’.

Letter - Job - Numbers - People - Vogue

I duly handwrote a letter pointing out that I was sad that he didn’t approve of how I was doing my job but luckily vast numbers of other people – Vogue’s readers – did.

I suppose Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May must feel the same about the MPs quitting Labour and the Tories over their leadership but I was right and they are wrong.

Karl - Qualms - Money - Chanel - Years

Karl had no qualms about spending money on himself and at Chanel. For 36 years, he stayed at the head of the most successful fashion house of our times by understanding that most people like to show off their wealth.

While doing some research the other day,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!