New election ordered in North Carolina House district after possible illegal activities

NBC News | 2/20/2019 | Staff
KimmyPoo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2019_08/2759891/190220-mark-harris-ew-545p_c9e4c83a2cbb967f62760476537f7876.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

RALEIGH, North Carolina — The North Carolina Board of Elections on Thursday ordered a new election in the 9th Congressional District after allegations of illegal activity in the handling of mail-in ballots.

The five-member board's unanimous action came after several days of hearings into Republican ballot-collecting practices last November and after the GOP candidate, Mark Harris, for the first time said there should be a new election because the public had lost confidence in the results. Harris had narrowly topped Democrat Dan McCready, according to unofficial results.

Leadership - Campaign - Activities - Hearing - Harris

"Neither I nor any of the leadership of my campaign were aware of or condoned the improper activities that have been testified to in this hearing," Harris said in a statement shortly before the board called the new election. "Through the testimony I listened to over the past three days, I believe a new election should be called. It's become clear to me that the public's confidence in the ninth district seat general election has been undermined to an extent that a new election is warranted."

Harris' request for a new election in his contest against Democrat Dan McCready came after several days of a hearing by the state Board of Elections hearing into whether there was misconduct with mail-in ballots in the state's 9th congressional district last November. Harris testified Thursday morning that he had no knowledge of the alleged illegal activities of a political operative hired by his campaign.

Motion - Election - Board - Chairman - Bob

In making the motion to hold a new election, board chairman Bob Cordle said, "based on the evidence we’ve heard" this week about "the corruption, the absolute mess with the absentee ballots, the illegal activities that have...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NBC News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
This space intentionally left blank