Kamala Harris: Larger Truth of Rising Hate Crime in Jussie Smollett Hoax

Breitbart | 2/21/2019 | Staff
shardonay (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/02/Kamala-Harris-Getty-1.jpg

Democratic presidential contender Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) says that the fact that Hollywood actor Jussie Smollet’s “hate crime” story turned out to be a hoax should not distract from the larger truth of rising hate crimes.

When Smollett first reported January 29 that he had been attacked by two white men who had shouted racist and homophobic slurs, and who had added, “This is MAGA country,” as they put a noose around his neck, Harris called the alleged hate crime “an attempted modern day lynching.”

Thursday - Smollett - Police - Report - Chicago

On Thursday, after Smollett was arrested for filing a false police report, Chicago police superintendent Eddie Johnson — who is black — blasted Harris and other Democrats indirectly for spreading the hoax.

“To make things worse,” he said, “the accusations within this phony attack received national attention for weeks. Celebrities, news commentators and even presidential candidates weighed in on something that was choreographed by an actor.”

Harris - Developments - Story - Facebook - Post

Harris responded to the new developments in the story with a Facebook post on Thursday:

Like most of you, I’ve seen the reports about Jussie Smollett, and I’m sad, frustrated, and disappointed. When anyone makes false claims to police, it not only diverts resources away from serious investigations but it makes it more difficult for other victims of crime to come forward. At the same time, we must speak the truth: hate crimes are on the rise in America. Just last year, the FBI released statistics that revealed a 17 percent increase in the number of hate crimes in America. Part of the tragedy of this situation is that it distracts from that truth, and has been seized by some who would like to dismiss and downplay the very real problems that we must address. We should not allow that. I will always condemn racism and homophobia. We must always confront hate directly, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!