What Does Jesus Mean by ‘I Never Knew You’?

Desiring God | 2/22/2019 | John Piper
jollyjetta (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/what-does-jesus-mean-by-i-never-knew-you-xxizhki7-en/landscape/what-does-jesus-mean-by-i-never-knew-you-xxizhki7-1ad6d421f9bd94d4213dded6181b8ead.jpg?ts=1550780290&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

We close the week with a good question from Singapore, from a listener name Jia. “Dear Pastor John, I would like to ask a question following up on episode 1304 about the parable of the ten virgins. In Matthew 25:11–12, Jesus says: ‘Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, “Lord, lord, open to us.” But he answered, “Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.”’ Do these two verses imply to us anything about salvation? Particularly so when the bridegroom said, ‘I do not know you’?”

Do these verses and the words “I don’t know you” imply anything about salvation? The answer is yes. Yes they do. They imply exclusion from salvation.

Reminder - Virgins - Story - Jesus - Virgins

Now, let me step back and give a little reminder. This is a parable, okay? There are ten virgins in this story that Jesus made up. Ten virgins are assigned to welcome the bridegroom when he comes to the feast, to go in and enjoy the bride. So they were to welcome him when he comes.

Five virgins take this seriously and stay ready. Five are careless and don’t have what they need to be ready. At the last minute, they run away to try to do a last-ditch effort to be ready. And it fails. It’s too late.

Here’s what we read:

The point is, watch. The point is not to stay awake at night looking up into the sky, because all ten slept. They all slept — the wise ones and the foolish ones. So that’s not the point. But stay awake to your Lord and to your calling: Be spiritually alert, awake to your calling, and awake to Jesus, to the way of life in Christ. Stay awake to it. Stay spiritually alert and alive. Because if you treat the Lord like he’s unimportant, you won’t enter the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: