‘Captain Marvel’ Early Buzz: A Funny, Surprising Space Adventure

/Film | 2/19/2019 | Ben Pearson
Coraav (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ64FF928B-768x474.jpg

The first wave of screenings for Marvel Studios’ upcoming Captain Marvel have just let out, and we’ve gathered the early reactions from several critics below. Does the Brie Larson-led film sink or soar?

Here’s what a selection of critics (including /Film’s own Peter Sciretta) are saying about Marvel’s latest offering:

CaptainMarvel - Thanos

#CaptainMarvel: Well, Thanos is fucked.

Marvel does a prequel right, not overexplaining too much but giving us unexpected answers in interesting ways. MCU’s most multilayered villain story. A fun 90s soundtrack, but sometimes the song choices feel too obvious.

Earnestness - CaptainMarvel - MCU - Films - Chills

There’s an earnestness to #CaptainMarvel that feels different than other MCU films. I got chills watching Carol Danvers get back up over & over & over again.

#CaptainMarvel is pure joy. I cannot wait for the generation of little girls who will grow up with Carol Danvers as a hero.

Ben - Mendelsohn - Marvel - Villains - Makeup

I can’t get over how great Ben Mendelsohn is. I was worried he was just going to be one of those Marvel villains with alien makeup, but that’s not the case at all. This movie doesn’t work without him.

Captain Marvel is a mixed bag. First half is slow and uninspired. Second half much better. Feels like directors could not escape Marvel formula. Mendelson steals the move. VfX of full Marvel powers much better than trailers.

Marvel - Movies - None - Trailers - TV

While I’ve generally liked most of the Marvel movies, I must admit that none of the trailers or TV spots for Captain Marvel got me super hyped...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!