Anonymous Oscar Ballot: Director Votes for Comedic Richard E. Grant and Rachel Weisz

IndieWire | 2/19/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/group_the_lobster_1.jpg

With Oscar balloting coming to a close, we’re continuing our second annual series of interviews with Academy voters from different branches for their candid thoughts on what got picked, overlooked, and overvalued this year.

I really enjoy being able to vote in the Oscars, even though it rarely represents my favorite films of the year and can’t even begin to truly recognize world cinema. Too often, the criteria of what constitutes an “Oscar-worthy” movie is so muddled by the own weight of what that means, that you frequently get films nominated for Best Picture that do not seem like objectively “great” movies. That said, a couple of the films nominated for Best Picture this year are among those that I genuinely believe to be the best of the year. That doesn’t always happen. A lot of the time, Best Pictures are the ones that most could generally agree on.

Academy - Strains - Ceremony - Hours - Globes

The Academy’s strains to make the ceremony three hours long are really dumb. I don’t want it to be more like the Globes, and I want it to be craft-centric and not just about the stars. Also, when the ceremony actually ends isn’t going to get a single extra millennial viewer watching. ABC and the Academy just need to recognize that ratings are going down for everything and just concentrate on making the best show. I was glad they reversed the idea of bumping categories to a montage at the end. They do that on the BAFTAs too, and it’s difficult not to feel that those awards are therefore considered less important (and less starry). Just make a good overall show, running time doesn’t matter.

How do you feel about the preferential Best Picture ballot?

Newer - Voter - Way - Method

I am a newer voter and have never voted another way, but I would go back a method of one...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care