STUDY: KIDS TWO AND UNDER WATCHED MORE TV IN 2014 THAN IN 1997

The Daily Caller | 2/18/2019 | Staff
Mireille (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Baby-TV-e1550531457402.jpg

Children two-years-old and younger watched more than twice as much TV in 2014 than in 1997 even with the rise of technology like smartphones and tablets, according to study published online Monday.

The study, “Assessment of Screen Exposure in Young Children, 1997 to 2004,” found children two and under on average watched TV for 30 minutes in 1997 while that number increased to more than 2.5 hours in 2014. Children were also exposed to 1.32 hours of a screen in 1997 while that number rose to 3.05 hours in 2014.

Time - Time - Activity - TV - Shows

Screen time in 1997 was time spent on any activity while watching TV shows, videotapes, electronic video games and computers. Cell phones, smartphones, tablets, electronic readers, and children’s learning devices got added to the list in 2014, according to the study.

“I was surprised, because I thought the screen time increase would be driven by the time spent on mobile devices,” head researcher and Florida International University assistant professor Weiwei Chen told The Daily Caller News Foundation over email. “Instead, I find a large increase in the time spent on TV. And TV was still the dominant screen device among the studied young children in 2014.”

Lee - Humphreys - Associate - Professor - Communication

Lee Humphreys, an associate professor of Communication at Cornell University, said one of the reasons children could have watched more TV in 2014 was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.
Tagged: