Burslem's 24,000 residents are forced to pay up to £3.50 to withdraw their money

Mail Online | 2/18/2019 | Faith Ridler For Mailonline
vegdancer18 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/18/16/9963338-0-image-a-19_1550506366785.jpg

Burslem's 24,000 residents have been forced to pay up to £3.50 to withdraw their own cash after all the free-to-use bank machines in the town closed.

Locals have seen a number of bank and building society closures in the past three years, including branches of Nationwide, NatWest and Lloyds.

Cash - Machine - Midlands - Town - Charges

The only remaining cash machine in the Midlands town charges for withdrawals and others at nearby retail parks cost between 95p and £3.50 per transaction.

Residents of Burslem now say they are being 'robbed' - and the lack of free cash machines has been raised at a parliamentary debate.

Phil - Hardy - Otters - Tears - Beer

Phil Hardy, 53, who owns Otters Tears Beer Company claims he has been forced to use a bank in 20 miles away in Macclesfield since all of the town's banks have closed.

He said: 'The lack of physical cash has affected my business in more ways than one.

Card - Reader - Card - Machines - Order

'When my card reader broke, and the card machines were out of order, I had a customer that had to wait a whole hour just to be able to pay for something because there was nowhere for them to get cash from. So if the card reader doesn't work, then I don't get the business.'

Janette Allen, 66, who lives in Burslem, said: 'It's just not fair. A lot of people like having money on them.'

City - Councillor - Alan - Dutton - Burslem

Stoke-on-Trent city councillor Alan Dutton, who represents Burslem Central, echoed the disappointment of shoppers and traders, describing it as 'absolute robbery'.

He said: 'A lot of people use cash, and now that all the cash machines have disappeared, we are in a desperate situation.'

North - MP - Ruth - Smeeth - Issue

Stoke-on-Trent North MP Ruth Smeeth raised the issue in a Parliamentary debate last month.

She said: 'As of this month, Burslem residents no longer have access to a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Speaking only as an infidel......