Galaxy S10 goes ultrasonic? Here's an early look at its likely fingerprint reader

CNET | 2/18/2019 | Roger Cheng
vpp1219 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/f1rH6P8Bh-UocZLtaDa4_NGJRXw=/724x407/2018/07/18/82206f9d-1b1c-4162-ad47-62b2b5439684/dsc-1928.jpg

Qualcomm had an early version of its ultrasonic fingerprint reader set up for a demonstration. It's so early, the smartphone on the right is a dummy unit set up with just the reader. The phone on the left actually registers the scan.

I place my thumb on the display of a dummy smartphone. A tiny, imperceptible wave of pressure shoots out of the device and maps the ridges and valleys of my finger, verifying my identity.

Instant - Phone - Dummy - Flickers - Life

In an instant, another phone that's connected to the dummy flickers to life as the home page appears.

It's a sunny summer day in July, and I'm standing in a conference room in the heart of Qualcomm's San Diego headquarters, trying out an early -- and very rough -- prototype of the company's ultrasonic fingerprint reader, which Qualcomm says will show up in smartphones this year.

Look - Fingerprint - Reader

Watch this: An early look at the ultrasonic fingerprint reader likely...

The technology is the same as that teased by DJ Koh, the head of Samsung's mobile business, at an event in China last year. And while Qualcomm declined to comment on any specifics phones using the technology, and Samsung remains mum on what will show up in the Galaxy S10, any phone embracing ultrasonic waves to read a fingerprint will have to work with Qualcomm.

Fingerprint - Reader - Glass - Step - Identities

Embedding the fingerprint reader underneath the glass represents the next step in how we verify our identities and log in to our smartphones. It's also a convenient fit with the trend toward eliminating physical home buttons and enlarging the frame around the display. The more full-sized display has forced phone makers to move the reader to the back of the phone or, in Apple's iPhone X, gotten rid of it entirely in favor of a facial recognition system.

Hey, even the head of Samsung's mobile business, DJ Koh,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...