Only Two Things Last Forever

Summit Life with J.D. Greear | 2/18/2019 | Staff
TwiztedGurl (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://jdgreear.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/kiwihug-284614-unsplash-1.jpg

When we live with the wisdom that makes the most of our short time, then we will prioritize and invest in the only two things that last forever: the Word of God and the souls of people. Acting wisely means being aware of the preciousness of time and the brief moment we have to accomplish our role in it.

Wife - Veronica - Teenagers - House

Sometimes my wife Veronica and I look at each other and say, “How did we both get to be in our 40s already? How do we have two teenagers living in our house?”

Our most recent how-did-I-get-so-old-without-noticing-it moment happened recently while we were watching an old sitcom. It was from the early 80s, and both of us had watched it as teenagers. I started to think about all of the actors and actresses from the show. At the time, they were young and beautiful, full of life and romance. They were the hot people of the day. But I saw a picture of one of those actors in an article recently.

Things

Things have changed.

None of those actors or actresses are nearly as young. They definitely don’t look invincible. They look, well, wrinkly. And then it hit me: The same amount of years has passed for me as these people.

Pretty soon, I guess, I’m not going to be young and beautiful anymore, either.

Paul concludes his letter to the Colossian church by calling them to “[a]ct wisely toward outsiders, making the most of the time” (Colossians 4:5 CSB).

Speaking - Kind - Wisdom - Psalmist - Prayed

He’s speaking of the kind of wisdom the psalmist prayed for in Psalm 90:12: “Teach us to number our days carefully so that we may develop wisdom in our hearts.” In other words, the wisest way to approach life is to remember the reality of death.

Lord, help me grasp how short life is so I’ll have the right...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Summit Life with J.D. Greear
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction
Tagged: