The Mod | Is Reality Secular? An Interview With Mary Poplin (Part 1)

Monday, 18 Feb 2019

www.whitehorseinn.org | 2/18/2019 | Staff
k.collazi (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.whitehorseinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Is-Reality-Secular1_1200x628.jpg

One of the greatest weapons in the secular arsenal is its claim to objectivity—unlike the religious adherents or political activists of the day, the secular humanist is epistemologically pure, untainted by the psychological manipulations of one ideology or another. In part one of this three-part interview with Modern Reformation’s editor-in-chief Michael Horton, Dr. Mary Poplin of Claremont Graduate University discusses her own journey from Athens to Jerusalem, the power and consequences of ideas, and the prevalence of secularism in both the university and the western church.

MSH: Tell us a little bit about your story that led to this book.

MP - Well - Methodist - Church - Difference

MP: Well, I grew up in a Methodist church, but I think we didn’t know the difference between Jesus and Martin Luther King. It wasn’t exactly an orthodox church, and I walked away immediately after I went to college and just kept going left, and eventually I was sort of a materialist by day and a pantheist by night.

MSH: Sort of C.S. Lewis’s scientist-magician?

MP - Yeah - Bit - Things - Course

MP: Yeah, a little bit of those two things. Of course, worldviews have consequences, so I ended up being in a pretty crazy life. Eventually I was tenured here at Claremont, and then I began to notice some of my students who were Christian—they lived their lives differently. And then I had a dream in which Jesus appeared, and I sort of saw a picture of my soul, and it shocked and frightened me in a way, and I called one of those students and said, “What do I do?” I was thinking that this guy was going to send me to another New Age thing, but he said, “Do you have a Bible?,” which is pretty funny, because I was sort of insulted. He suggested that I start reading the Psalms and the Proverbs, and then he said...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.whitehorseinn.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a Government intervention.