Land-mine detection project earns first place at Create the Future contest

phys.org | 2/6/2019 | Staff
j.moomin (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2019/landminedete.jpg

Jasper Baur and William Frazer, students at Binghamton University, State University of New York, won first place in the aerospace and defense category at the Create the Future Technology design contest for their project which uses drones to locate dangerous landmines.

Frazer—a senior studying geophysics—teamed up with Baur—a junior studying geology—to enter the international Create the Future technology design contest, which allows people to submit ideas that stimulate and reward engineering and technological innovation.

Baur - Frazer - Research - Detection - Submission

Baur and Frazer's research focuses on plastic land-mine detection. Their submission used thermal technology to detect plastic land mines in countries such as Afghanistan, where land mines were used as a military tactic.

"Our submission was a description of how we attach thermal cameras to drones and fly over to detect plastic land mines based on heat differences between the surrounding environment and the mine," Baur said.

Land - Mines - Enemies - Machinery - Baur

Land mines are explosives that are concealed underground and used to destroy or disable enemies and their machinery. Baur and Frazer's research focused on PMF1 land mines, which were a Soviet design used in the Soviet Union's war in Afghanistan in the late 20th...
(Excerpt) Read more at: phys.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!