‘True Detective’ Director on What That Season-Spanning Tie-In Means for the Season 3 Finale

IndieWire | 2/17/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/True-Detective-Season-3-Episode-7-Stephen-Dorff-Mahershala-Ali.jpg

Daniel Sackheim joined the third season of “True Detective” pretty late — “I did not have a lot [of time],” he told IndieWire — but he knew about the case’s ties to Season 1 from the get-go.

“Nic [Pizzolatto] actually had all of these seven scripts written when I came onto the show,” Sackheim said. “It was always in the cards, so to speak.”

Episode - Final - Country - Connection - Purcell

Episode 7, “The Final Country,” unveiled a secret connection between the Purcell case in Season 3 and the case investigated by Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) and Marty Hart (Woody Harrelson) in Season 1. While Wayne (Mahershala Ali) is being interviewed by Elisa (Sarah Gadon), the docuseries reporter tells him about a theory that blames a pedophile ring for the death of William Purcell and kidnapping of Julie — the same pedophile ring associated with a serial killer felled by Cohle and Hart three years earlier.

Sackheim has been sworn to secrecy over how this theory will be addressed in the finale, but he did say the connection will “manifest itself” in Episode 8. “It’s an interesting revelation to stay tuned to,” he said, before discussing whether any Season 1 characters would appear in the finale.

Expression - Expectations - Everyone - Scales - Way

“I could tell you, but — what’s the expression? I’d have to kill you,” he said. “I think we would rather keep expectations high and keep everyone wondering. I wouldn’t want to tilt the scales one way or the other.”

Mahershala Ali in “True Detective”

Possibility - Cameo - McConaughey - Harrelson - Slew

That leaves the possibility open for a cameo from McConaughey and/or Harrelson, let alone a slew of other characters who could be interested in whatever new revelations Wayne and Roland dig up. Waiting a full week to find out should make for quite a build-up, but Sackheim dismissed concerns over the Season 1 tie-ins serving as a distraction to Season 3’s own...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .