So. Baptist leader Al Mohler apologizes for defending Sovereign Grace leader CJ Mahaney

www.christianpost.com | 2/16/2019 | Staff
srqlolosrqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://static-thechristianpost.netdna-ssl.com/files/original/thumbnail/22/99/229964.jpg

A prominent Southern Baptist seminary president is apologizing for defending Sovereign Grace Church leader CJ Mahaney as the denomination's leaders respond to sex abuses allegations at Southern Baptist churches.

Al Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, said in a Thursday interview with the Houston Chronicle that he regrets backing C.J. Mahaney, the former leader of Sovereign Grace Ministries, which is now Sovereign Grace Churches.

Retrospect - Part - Statement - Supportive - Mahaney

"I believe in retrospect I erred in being part of a statement supportive of (Mahaney) and rather dismissive of the charges," Mohler told the Texas newspaper which earlier this week published a lengthy investigative report on sex abuse within SBC churches, identifying over 700 victims since 1998. Some 220 of the 380 perpetrators have been convicted, and 100 remain in prison.

"And I regret that action, which I think was taken without due regard to the claims made by the victims and survivors at the time, and frankly without an adequate knowledge on my part, for which I'm responsible."

People - Mahaney - Organization - Sovereign - Grace

Eleven people sued Mahaney and his former organization, Sovereign Grace Ministries, in 2013, following a huge sexual abuse scandal; it was alleged that church leadership covered up sexual abuse of minors, including abuse perpetrated by a man who was later convicted.

Sovereign Grace Ministries, which was headquartered just outside Washington, D.C., in Maryland and then reconstituted following the scandal as Sovereign Grace Churches, relocated to Louisville in part to be closer to the seminary.

Rachael - Denhollander - Christian - Attorney - USA

Rachael Denhollander, an evangelical Christian and attorney who helped bring down USA Gymnastics Coach Larry Nassar, expressed gratitude in response to Mohler's words. Denhollander, who is also a sex abuse survivor, has long pushed for an independent investigation into Sovereign Grace and has on many occasions articulated her frustration that the powers that be were ignoring her and other abuse victims concerns, particularly...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!