I accidentally spent a day using my phone as my wallet. Here's what I learned...

CNET | 2/15/2019 | Jessica Dolcourt
malik778 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/zSyGdepyAKpCeh2tsw9rNw2ohxg=/724x407/2018/04/25/202b96f8-93a7-4820-912d-325338c704e4/samsungpay-s8-2.jpg

I was 30 miles from home when it hit me that my purse was at home, and I'd have to spend the day without my credit cards, ID or any cash. The only thing I had -- apart from my backpack and puffy purple jacket -- was my Samsung-loaned Galaxy S9 Plus review unit as my only source of money and ID. Good thing that months before I had loaded my credit card number into Samsung Pay, Samsung's mobile wallet for contactless payments. That would have to do.

Samsung Pay and I are old friends. More powerful and more forgiving than Google Pay and Apple Pay, it works on almost every terminal that reads a payment card's magnetic stripe, which means I'd be able to pay for more things in more places than with either mobile payment rival alone.

Thing - Samsung - Pay - US - Asia

Only one thing worried me. I've used Samsung Pay all over the US, Asia and Europe, but I've never been forced to use it solo. I've always had the benefit of my credit and ATM cards as backup, and my driver's license for ID. Being forcibly removed from them, without any sort of safety net, would be a real-life test of mobile payment's power and influence.

The best thing about ride-hailing services like Lyft is that you don't need to carry a card or cash.

Wallet - Home - Infrastructure - Work - Day

We always talk about leaving the wallet at home, but does the infrastructure exist to make that work? Could I really get through a day using Samsung Pay and nothing else? It's not Samsung's fault that the answer was no, not quite.

Morning travel wasn't a problem, and that's probably why I didn't discover my mistake until I was 30 miles from home. Ordinarily, I'd have realized my purse wasn't with the rest of my stuff a few minutes...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: