Joaquin Castro: Trump Doesn’t Have Authority to Declare ‘Fake’ Emergency

Washington Free Beacon | 2/14/2019 | Nic Rowan
katz1234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://freebeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Castro.jpg

BY: Nic Rowan

Rep. Joaquin Castro (D., Texas) said Thursday that he opposes President Donald Trump's decision to declare a national emergency to seek more funding for a wall on the southern border, adding that he will seek to "terminate" the declaration through a joint resolution in the House.

Castro - Comments - White - House - Day

Castro's comments came after the White House said earlier in the day that Trump will sign a spending bill that keeps the government open and also declare a national emergency.

CNN host Wolf Blitzer asked Castro whether he believes Trump has the "legal standing" to take such a step to secure funding for a border wall.

Castro - Emergency - Emergency

"I don't," Castro responded. "I don't think that it's a national emergency. I think this would be a fake emergency."

"I am prepared, if the president does declare a national emergency to build his border wall, to file a joint resolution under the National Emergencies Act that would essentially terminate his declaration," Castro continued.

Castro - Trump - Declaration - Congress

Castro added that he does not believe that Trump is fit to make such a declaration, and that Congress could override him.

"We would have a vote either on my resolution...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Washington Free Beacon
Wake Up To Breaking News!