Family of Ohio University student who died sues fraternity

Mail Online | 11/12/2018 | Luke Kenton For
Click For Photo:

The family of a college student who died at an Ohio University frat house is accusing the fraternity of directly causing their son's death after months of extensive 'physical and mental hazing'.

A lawsuit filed on Thursday in Athens County Court alleges that Collin Wiant, 18, was beaten with a belt, pelted with eggs, deprived of sleep, and forced to take drink a gallon (3.8 liters) of alcohol in an hour, as part of his first year initiation.

Cocktail - Cocaine - Marijuana - Adderall - Xanax

He was also forced to consume a toxic cocktail of cocaine, marijuana, Adderall and Xanax, according to his parents, Kathleen and Wade Waint.

The suit, seeking at least $25,000 in damages, names both the local chapter of Sigma Pi Fraternity and the fraternity's Lebanon, Tennessee-based national office as the responsible parties.

Freshman - Dublin - November - Asphyxiation - Ingestion

It says the 18-year-old freshman from Dublin died on November 12, 2018, of asphyxiation due to the ingestion of nitrous-oxide provided to - and forced on - Wiant by members of the fraternity.

According to the suit, Wiant ominously told a friend that he knew he was going to be hazed by fraternity members on the night of his death.

'This - Family - Wiant - Family - Attorney

'This is a very strong family,' the Wiant family attorney, Rex Elliot said to the Columbus Dispatch.

'Their objective is to make sure this doesn't happen to another family.'

November - Night - Wiant - Evening - Number

On the fateful November night, Wiant spent the evening in a number of college bars with Sigma Pi members but wasn't intoxicated, according to the complaint.

He was then instructed to go to an apartment at 45 Mill Street, an extension of the fraternity's headquarters.

Hours - Dispatchers - Call - Members - Paramedics

Less that three hours later, 911 dispatchers received a call from one of the frat members who told paramedics Waint had 'drunk a little too much' and had been drifting in and out of consciousness for some time.

The 18-year-old's unconscious body was found surrounded...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Hell sometimes looks an awful lot like an office cubicle.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!