Watch: Paul Schrader, Eric Roth, Tamara Jenkins & More Discuss Screenwriting & Influences

The Playlist | 2/14/2019 | Christian Gallichio
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/the-writers-roundtable-paul-schrader.jpg

As we come closer to the Academy Awards, THR has released their newest roundtable, this week focusing on the screenwriters. Included in the discussion are Oscar nominees Paul Schrader (“First Reformed”), Peter Farrelly (“Green Book”), and Eric Roth (“A Star is Born”), in addition to John Krasinski (“A Quiet Place”), Tamara Jenkins (“Private Life”), and Bo Burnham (“Eighth Grade”).

The roundtable, of course, moves through a number of topics, including why many got into directing, advice for other writers, their influences and the worst notes they’ve ever gotten, with Schrader being the most open and revealing the ups and downs that go along with the process.

Process - Jenkins - Roth - Solitude - Writer

While discussing that writing process, however, Jenkins and Roth agree in the solitude needed to be a successful writer. For Roth, “I write from a place of loneliness and a little bit of depression. So my things would necessarily have a tragic element, even if I don’t want that.” Jenkins feels the same way as she, “feel[s] connected to depression, and it’s always driving me into sitting there by myself and writing.”

Schrader, who just received his first Oscar nomination ever and became famous off of his scripts for Scorsese films, realized, “I did four scripts with Scorsese and on the fourth one I could tell this would be the last because I was thinking like a director now – there were two directors in the room, and one was calling himself a writer. I realized, I’m going to retain my friendship with Marty – I’ve known him all my life –...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sorry Mr. Franklin, we couldn't keep it.