Justin Fairfax's rape accuser: Sexual violence is 'one of the ugliest aspects of humanity'

Mail Online | 2/13/2019 | Associated Press;David Martosko, U.s. Political Editor For Dailymail.com
srqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/13/14/9769428-0-image-a-48_1550066525696.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/02/11/6582470620503953331/1024x576_MP4_6582470620503953331.mp4

College professor Vanessa Tyson avoided talking directly on Tuesday night about her accusation that Virginia's lieutenant governor sexually assaulted her, but she wasn't shy about publicly discussing her research and thoughts on the growing number of women reporting abuse.

'One thing that I notice about sexual violence is that a lot of people would like to glance away from this,' she told a Stanford University symposium. 'It's one of the ugliest parts of humanity. Trust me.'

Survivors - Assaults - 'They - Nothing

Survivors of assaults don't 'deserve what happened to them,' she said. 'They have nothing to be ashamed of. And they are not alone.'

Tyson, appearing as one of two panelists at the event called 'Betrayal and Courage in the Age of #MeToo,' was making her first public appearance since she accused Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of forcing her to perform oral sex on him in 2004.

Tyson - Science - Professor - Southern - California

Tyson is a political science professor at Southern California's Scripps College who is spending a year at Stanford as a research fellow.

Fairfax has said he recalled the encounter, which he said was consensual, and denied assaulting or coercing Tyson.

Consent - Whole - Tyson - Talk - Experience

'Perhaps we have to reshape how we understand consent and how we teach it to society as a whole,' Tyson said during her talk, which also included her experience with students who were sexually assaulted confiding in her and the difficulty victims have with indifferent institutions that don't take their claims seriously.

'Speaking as a professor at a women's college, sometimes you have to lead by example,' Tyson said. 'No matter how hard it is.'

'it - Concerns - Women - Men - Attempt

She said that 'it deeply, deeply concerns me that some women who come forward, and some men too,' face a 'deliberate attempt to try to undermine someone’s credibility. Every woman matters, every survivor matters, regardless of their background, regardless of where they come from.'

Tyson slipped in and out of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!