What the Bible Says About Loving Our Neighbor

Christian Crier | 2/13/2019 | Staff
josh567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/348/2017/12/Praise-Outdoors-300x157.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/348/2017/10/man-prayer-300x157.jpg

The Bible commands us to love God and to love our neighbor as ourselves, so what does that look like?

Jesus tells us the very two greatest commands in all the Bible and they are found in Matthew 22:37-40 where Jesus says, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” If you do not love God, then you will have difficulty loving your neighbor. The Old Testament had laws preventing someone from taking revenge or bearing a grudge against their neighbor. The law stated, “You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord” (Lev 19:18). If someone wrongs us, we must remember to “never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord” (Rom 12:19), so first of all, we are to love God and then, “love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these” (Mark 12:31).

Romans - 8-10 - Neighbors - Fact - Owe

Romans 13:8-10 shows us what loving our neighbors looks like, and it includes the fact that we “Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Christian Crier
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't touch that, you don't know where it's been.
Tagged: