WHY PLACE STILL MATTERS IN GLOBAL MISSIONS

Desiring God | 2/13/2019 | David Platt
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/rethinking-unreached-peoples-oknjyen4-en/landscape/rethinking-unreached-peoples-oknjyen4-d7c2df29dde87cd989425be159a967e3.jpg?ts=1549469860&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

ABSTRACT: When Jesus commissioned his church to make disciples of all nations, was he focusing on unreached peoples, or unreached places, or both? The New Testament writers tracked the spread of the gospel not just by peoples but also places. David Platt proposes a revised version of the common definition of “unreached” and explains how it affects our missions strategies.

We asked David Platt, a pastor at McLean Bible Church in Washington, DC, to share his new proposal for the definition of unreached in our series of feature articles by scholars for pastors, leaders, and teachers. You can download and print a PDF of the article, as well as listen to an audio recording.

World

Who are the unreached in the world?

This is not a question just for missionaries or missiologists. As followers of Christ, we have all been given a clear command from Christ to make disciples of all the nations (all the ethnic groups of the world). In Paul’s words in Romans 1:14, we owe the gospel to those who have not heard it. Consequently, it is imperative for all of us to know which nations (or ethnic groups) have not yet been reached with the good news of God’s love in Christ, as well as how we can change that reality with the grace God has given us.

Term - Peoplegroups - Org - Website - Need

Here’s how the term unreached is defined by peoplegroups.org, a website that tracks the need for and the progress of the gospel around the world:

A people group is considered unreached when there is no indigenous community of believing Christians able to engage this people group with church planting. Technically speaking, the percentage of evangelical Christians in this people group is less than 2 percent.

Agreement - Definition - Missions - Circles

Despite general agreement on this definition in many missions circles, I think it’s worth asking whether or not this is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?