Facing Costly New Regulations, Some Gun Shops Close

Washington Free Beacon | 2/10/2019 | Cole Lauterbach - Watchdog.org
doona07 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://freebeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/guns.jpg

Several gun dealers in Central and Southern Illinois are closing their businesses rather than pay what they’re saying is thousands of dollars in costs to comply with a law enacted last month.

When he signed the bill into law last month, Gov. J.B. Pritzker said the Gun Dealer Licensing Act was about stopping straw buyers.

Reason - Purchases - Someone - Gun - Someone

"The reason for it is to deter straw purchases so that we can prevent someone from buying a gun for someone else who is not legally allowed to own a gun," he said at the signing ceremony in Chicago.

Jim Barnard, 69, couldn’t see a way to afford the cost of compliance with the new law. After more than four decades of operation, the owner of Fishman’s Sporting Goods in Girard had to make a tough decision.

Years

"I’m just going to retire, I guess," he said. "I hope that I can live off of what I’ve saved over the years."

He made the decision to close his business in late January.

Mick - Moore - Decision - Walnut - Creek

Mick Moore made the same decision for Walnut Creek Shooters Supply in Brownstown after seeing not only the cost of the license and the camera system, but also the uncertainty additional regulations and more fees.

"It’s just not worth it," he said. "I’ve fought it and fought it but I’m just not up to the fight much longer."

Miles - Moore - Shop - Bear - Arms

Just five miles south of Moore's shop is Bear Arms. John Washburn has owned Bear Arms since 2013. Although he doesn't plan to close his doors, he said the future for his business is bleak.

"We’ll just have to wait and see, but there’s probably...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Washington Free Beacon
Wake Up To Breaking News!