‘True Detective’ Season 4 Is ‘Percolating,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ Spinoffs, and More HBO Updates

IndieWire | 2/8/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/80393c4672f3dbfa94c07164fc4b90bc95f0c620a6c96900108badc1cde33d36.jpg

HBO’s future is all about expansion, but that doesn’t mean it’s desperate for content. With a mandate from corporate parent company AT&T to increase original programming by 50 percent, the network is exploring multiple ways to grow its successful franchises without sacrificing quality.

First priority: “Game of Thrones.” With the billion-dollar flagpole series set to end in 2019 (Season 8 premieres April 14), HBO commissioned five spinoff series and has only ordered one to the pilot phase so far: Jane Goldman and George R.R. Martin’s untitled prequel, which is set to begin production “early” this summer.

While

And that may be it for a while.

“We want to get that one started,” Bloys told IndieWire, adding: “You know, I’m not sure that we’ll do another one.”

Line - Statements - Bloys - Network - Game

In line with previous statements, Bloys said the network put the other “Game of Thrones” projects “aside” to focus on the SJ Clarkson-directed prequel pilot. Once that’s off the ground, HBO might re-approach other series in the “Game of Thrones” universe.

“But I’m not looking to make HBO just the home of ‘Game of Thrones’ prequels, or sequels, or anything like that,” Bloys said. “I think it’s a very exciting and rich world that we’re lucky enough to have, but I’m not looking to overdo it. I’m not looking to overpopulate. Only if it is really well done and interesting and exciting [will we proceed with another spinoff].”

Property - True - Detective - Season - Nic

Another successful property is “True Detective.” Even after a disappointing second season, Nic Pizzolatto’s third season (now airing) has pulled in strong viewership and more favorable reviews. Quentin Schaffer, HBO’s executive VP of corporate Communications, announced Friday that ratings are approaching 8 million viewers across platforms.

So is Season 4 on the horizon?

Nic - Ideas - Way - Season

“Nic, I think, is percolating ideas, and I think we’ll approach it the same way we did Season 3: If he has...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!