Jill Abramson acknowledges citation errors in new book after plagiarism allegations

TheHill | 2/7/2019 | Brett Samuels
townskey13 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thehill.com/sites/default/files/abramsonjill_020619.jpg

Former New York Times executive editor Jill Abramson acknowledged Thursday that some parts of her new book were not properly cited after multiple individuals raised claims that she lifted material.

In a statement to The Washington Post, Abramson said certain footnotes in her book, "Merchants of Truth," don't match up correctly with the material in the book, and that certain passages should have been cited as direct quotations.

Night - Book - Claims - Plagiarism - Abramson

"I was up all night going through my book because I take these claims of plagiarism so seriously," Abramson said in the statement to the Post. "In writing Merchants of Truth, I tried above all to accurately and properly give attribution to the many hundreds of sources that were part of my research.

"I wouldn’t want even a misplaced comma so I will promptly fix these footnotes and quotations as I have corrected other material that Vice contested," she added. "The book is over 500 pages. All of the ideas in the book are original, all the opinions are mine. The passages in question involve facts that should have been perfectly cited in my footnotes and weren’t."

Statement - Day - Individuals - Allegations - Abramson

The statement came less than a day after two individuals raised allegations that Abramson had lifted material for her book, which assesses the state of the news industry.

Vice News correspondent Michael Moynihan posted a series of tweets...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TheHill
Wake Up To Breaking News!