Warren offers 'from the heart' apology for for calling herself 'American Indian' on bar registration

Mail Online | 4/18/1986 | Geoff Earle, Deputy U.s. Political Editor For Dailymail.com;Leah Simpson For Dailymail.com
superdudea (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/06/02/9446046-0-image-a-49_1549419234347.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/02/06/5136905059239609237/1024x576_MP4_5136905059239609237.mp4

Under fire for a damaging claim from her past, Sen. Elizabeth Warren repeatedly apologized Wednesday for claiming on a 1986 form to be 'American Indian,' saying she is not a citizen of any tribe.

Warren faced reporters following a report surfaced a bombshell document on her state bar application form where she had made the claim. With her potential presidential campaign on the line, Warren expressed repeated regret, but didn't rule out the possibility that there are more forms from that time period out there.

Brothers - Warren - Oklahoma

'This is who I grew up believing with my brothers,' said Warren, who was raised in Oklahoma.

'This is our family story. It's all consistent from that point in time. But as I said, it's important to note I'm not a tribal citizen and I should have been more mindful of the distinction with tribal citizenship and tribal sovereignty.'

Apology - Call - Chief - Release - DNA

She referenced her previous apology call to a tribal chief about her earlier public release of a DNA test that showed a tiny fraction of native American blood. 'That's why I apologized to Chief Baker and why I made a very public apology about it,' she said.

Again and again, she said that only tribes can determine citizenship.

Form - Warren - Decision - Family - Stories

Asked why she filed out the form as she did, Warren said she made the decision long ago having heard family stories about a Native American ancestor.

'This was about 30 years ago. And I am not a tribal citizen. Only tribes determine citizenship,' she said. 'When I was growing up in Oklahoma, I learned about my family the same way most people do.'

Brothers - Mom - Dad - Brothers - Sisters

'My brothers and I learned from our mom and our dad and our brothers and our sisters. They were family stories. But that said, there really is an important distinction of tribal citizenship. I'm not a member of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!