Oscars 2019: Yep, There’s a ‘Lack of Clarity,’ and ABC Thinks That’s a Good Thing

IndieWire | 2/6/2019 | Staff
dewbydewby (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/shutterstock_9795192a.jpg

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature. That’s the take of ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke on the swirling discussions that surround this year’s Oscars telecast. At the Television Critics Association press tour Tuesday, she said the ongoing debates initially worried her when she took over ABC in November 2018, following the departure of Channing Dungey. But not any more.

“I ironically have found that the lack of clarity around the Oscars has kept it in the conversation, and it’s been really compelling,” she said. “People really care. I think it’s fascinating… to me that shows evidence of how relevant the Oscars still are.”

Controversy - Academy - Awards - Ceremony - Summer

Controversy surrounding the 2019 Academy Awards ceremony began last summer with the announcement that not all categories would be broadcast that night. Questions about what the show would be like continued to build after Kevin Hart was briefly hired to host, before he stepped down. The Oscars now will go host-less for the first time in decades, a decision Burke said was made by the producers.

In addition, the Academy’s promise that this...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The only change you ever get from the goverment is what's in your pocket, and worth less every day.