DR MAX THE MIND DOCTOR: My clinic is full of kids hurt by social media

Mail Online | 2/4/2019 | Dr Max Pemberton For The Daily Mail
aniki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/02/01/9297576-0-image-a-25_1549072418857.jpg

The young woman who sat in front of me recently was crying quietly. Painfully thin, her skin dry and flaking and her hair sparse, she was showing all the signs of severe malnourishment.

'How did this start?' I asked.

Diet - Pictures - Media

'Well, I went on the diet after seeing pictures online and on social media,' she began.

Today, in the eating disorder clinic where I work, that's a fairly standard response: week in, week out, I see the damaging consequences of a world dominated by provocative and distressing images and malicious messages that are literally sucking the life out of scores of youngsters.

Use - Media - Rise - Disorders - Thoughts

Increasing use of social media has sparked a deeply worrying rise in eating disorders, self-harm and suicidal thoughts, particularly among girls and young women.

The Mail has reported the heart-breaking story of 14-year-old Molly Russell, who took her own life in November 2017. Her father, Ian, cannot hide his anger and despair at the role social media played in her death.

Images - Self-harm - Suicide - Instagram - Pinterest

He believes that graphic images of self-harm and suicide she was assailed by on Instagram and Pinterest contributed to her tragic loss.

Thirty other families have since come forward to say that they, too, are convinced social media was a factor in their children taking their own lives.

Week - Sir - Nick - Clegg - Role

This week, Sir Nick Clegg, in his new role as a spin doctor for Facebook, was confronted by a BBC reporter with an array of gruesome images found on Instagram (which is owned by the tech giant).

They included slit wrists smeared in blood and a girl cuddling a teddy bear with the caption 'This world is so cruel and I don't want to see it any more...'

Clegg - Sites - Words - Faith - Deputy

Clegg vowed to do 'whatever it takes' to make such sites safer. Welcome words, but I'd have greater faith in them if the former deputy prime minister hadn't also tried to defend...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.