Brexit: Jeremy Hunt warns EU departure could be delayed

Mail Online | 1/31/2019 | James Tapsfield, Political Editor, For Mailonline
applekip (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/31/11/9221346-0-image-a-84_1548932884657.jpg

MPs' holiday was cancelled to deal with the Brexit crisis today as Theresa May scrambles to find a way through bitter deadlock.

Commons Leader Andrea Leadsom declared that the half-term break next month was being abandoned to make 'progress' on passing key laws.

MPs - Constituency - Work - Critics - Announcement

She apologised to MPs for keeping them away from constituency work - but critics joked that the announcement had gone down like a 'bucket of sick' as many had already booked skiing trips.

The news came as Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt publicly admitted that the UK's departure date might have to be delayed even if Mrs May somehow manages to win approval for a deal.

Business - Secretary - Greg - Clark - Pressure

Meanwhile, Business Secretary Greg Clark heaped pressure on Mrs May by hinting at a Remainer exodus from the Cabinet if she does not rule out a no-deal Brexit within the next fortnight.

Several senior figures including Mr Clark, Amber Rudd and David Gauke have been pushing for no deal to be taken off the table.

Rebel - Amendment - Week - Way - Brexit

They held off quitting to support a rebel amendment this week, which would have paved the way for a Brexit delay, after being assured there would be another chance to change course.

But asked if he would join a revolt if there has been no progress by the next votes, due on February 14, Mr Clark told ITV's Peston show: 'I've always been very clear.. that to leave in a disorderly way on 29 March would be very bad for everyone in the economy. And I will do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen.

Purpose - Position - Influence - Government - That

'That's the purpose of having a position of influence in government, to be able to do that.'

The warning effectively gives Mrs May a fortnight to get concessions from the EU that can get her deal past the Commons.

Today - Ministers

It emerged today that ministers are preparing to offer...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!