Rand Paul awarded more than $580K after neighbor's attack

Mail Online | 1/30/2019 | Associated Press;Leah Mcdonald For Dailymail.com
hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/31/03/9208396-0-image-a-14_1548904673768.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/11/05/4553088587484121091/1024x576_MP4_4553088587484121091.mp4

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul has been awarded more than $580,000 in damages in a lawsuit against the neighbor who tackled him and broke several of his ribs in a dispute over lawn maintenance.

A jury in Bowling Green, Kentucky, deliberated for less than two hours before delivering the award to the Republican lawmaker, 56, who was attacked while doing yard work at his Kentucky home.

Paul - Trial - Life - Rene - Boucher

Paul had testified during the three-day trial that he feared for his life as he struggled to breathe after Rene Boucher slammed into him in their upscale Bowling Green neighborhood in late 2017.

The jury awarded $375,000 in punitive damages and $200,000 for pain and suffering, plus $7,834 for medical expenses.

Afterwards - Paul - Statement - Verdict - Message

Afterwards, Paul said in a statement that he hoped the verdict would send a 'clear message that violence is not the answer - anytime, anywhere'.

Boucher's attorney, Matt Baker, said they would appeal the judgement even though he admitted he 'wasn't thinking rationally' when the incident happened.

Senator - Paul - Verdict - Favor - Baker

'We all expected that Senator Paul would get a verdict in his favor,' Baker said. 'This far exceeds anything that we were expecting.

The trial included testimony from doctors as well as other neighbors, but the most riveting testimony came from Paul and Boucher.

Paul - GOP - Candidate - Jury - Monday

Paul, a former GOP presidential candidate, told the jury Monday that immediately after the attack: 'The thought crossed my mind that I may never get up from this lawn again.'

An apologetic Boucher acknowledged he wasn't thinking rationally and called it 'two minutes of my life I wish I could take back'.

Paul - Emotion - Lawyer - Wife - Courtroom

Paul displayed little emotion as he sat between his lawyer and his wife in the courtroom, as Boucher recounted the attack.

In his lawsuit, Paul sought up to $500,000 in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!